March 2022 - Recipe of the month - Velleppam
Recipe & Photograph by: Dhanya Panamgatti
FLUFFY LACED VELLEPPAM
The Velleppam is thin and crispy around the edges with soft and fluffy middle.
This Kerala breakfast delicacy can be enjoyed with several veg or non-veg side dishes, especially stews, and is a perfectly satisfying start to your day.
- Rice flour 2 cups
- Extra 2 tbsp Rice flour for cooking (കുറുക്കൽ/കപ്പി കാച്ചൽ)
- Water 1 cup
- Coconut milk 2 cups
- Coconut water 1 cup
- Sugar 4 tbsp
- Salt as needed
- Yeast 1 tsp
- Add a cup of water to a small saucepan.
- Add 2 tbsp of rice flour to the water once it comes to a boil.
- Stir until the mix turns into a thick paste.
- Turn off the heat and keep it aside.
- Add 2 cups rice flour, coconut milk, cocunut water, sugar, salt and yeast to the rice flour paste once it cools.
- Grind the mix well in an electric mixer.
- Keep this batter aside for 6 hours or overnight in order for it to ferment.
- The appam batter is now ready for the appam pan.
- Heat your appam pan over med-hi flame and pour the batter in the middle of the pan when the pan gets hot to the touch.
- Rotate the pan by its handles to spread the batter around.
- You get a thick middle and a thin edge for the appam this way.
- Close the pan with its lid and and cook for 4 minutes.
- Take the lid off and transfer the fluffy appam adorned with a crispy golden lace with a spatula.