February 2022 - Recipe of the month - Puttu & Kadala Curry
Recipe by: Honey Thomas
Photograph by: Byju Michael
FOR KADALA CURRY
- Black chickpeas (kadala) -1.5 cup (soaked)
- Onion-1 medium
- Garlic-2 pods
- Curry leaves-2 sprig
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Water (as required)
- Oil (as required)
- Salt (as required)
FOR ROASTING COCONUT
- Coconut- 1 cup
- Dry red chilli-5
- Coriander whole- 2tbs
- Fennel seeds-2tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Garlic- 2 pods
METHOD FOR MAKING KADALA CURRY
- Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas along with onion, salt and water.
- Evenly roast the grated coconut and other ingredients under "for roasting coconut" on a low flame until the coconut turns evenly brown.
- Let it cool, then grind it with 2 tbsp of cooked kadala into a smooth paste.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Allow it to splutter then add curry leaves.
- Then add the coconut paste and mix well.
- Now add the cooked kadala into it and add more water if you need more gravy.
- Allow the curry to boil and turn off the flame.
Puttu : Made with white rice, brown rice and multi grain puttu podi.